Jackson Pollock by Miltos Manetas

Monday, August 23, 2010

Reflections on the 2010 US Journey












From July 7 to August 20 Brusan and I traveled the great Northwest United States – Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Utah and California. It was a circular journey in the sense that we arrived at and departed from SeaTac. It was also circular in the sense of being a return of sorts. Return to places, family and friends. A circular journey suggests renewal and in this case a ten year absence meant that there was plenty to renew. Old relationships renewed and friends and family re-discovered. Old stomping grounds re-visited. Things remain the same even when they are different. We are all older and hopefully wiser.

The journey was long and expensive… and worth it. Many people would never have such an opportunity. People met along the way were good, and friendly, and so generous (you know who I’m thinking of!). The only bad thing about seeing good friends and family is parting again. We had so many experiences – unforgettable – from the simple to the grand. Afternoon walks, chance encounters, sharing a laugh. Beautiful scenery, weather, company.

Returning to Korea I know that the journey brought Brusan and I closer. She had such an unforgettable time, and has come to know me even better, if that is even possible! The trip enriched our lives and the generosity of every one of you who we met along the way has made us more than we were. We miss each and every one of you. And we love you.

1 comment:

Chandra said...

What? Seattle and yet no Mariner baseball game? Oh my friend...you should have told me that you were in my state. I would have shown you around. I hope you at least went down to Pike's market and saw them throwing fish. I love Seattle. Sounds like you had quite a trip.